Thursday, December 01, 2005

Moments of Density

There are some moments when I feel like my mass has increased, like gravity has a greater effect on me. This is not a bad thing. It happens at moments when, sometimes for no rational reason, I feel that there is nowhere in the world I would rather be than where I am at that moment. Nothing pulling me somewhere else. Perhaps this is a moment of Shalom, that deep biblical peacefulness from God.

These moments often seek up on me. From around a corner or from under a table jumps a sense of being that is rarely familiar to me. At moments of this thickening I sometimes think that breath itself in unimportant because I have started to inhale the beauty in everyday things: a bird, a song, someone's face as a certain angle, a laugh.

And as easily as it comes, it's gone again. Grace (it must be grace) is too playful to be contained. It spooks easily and darts away back under the table or around the corner leaving no track or trace.

1 Comments:

At 6:46 AM , Blogger sara said...

delicious post. i have these times too. i call it overwhelming contentment. these moments are fleeting, i think, because they are impossible for our hearts to sustain. they feel as if they will burst right open. and they very well might. but we will never know. i often feel this way when i'm listening to music. or spending time with my friends. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home