Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Voice-overs

I don't watch a lot of television but from what I do watch, I've noticed that over the last 2-3 years some of the most popular shows (excluding gameshows, which is really all reality TV is) have used voice-overs. Why is this?

The theologian in me wants to believe that people (or at least TV producers) are seeking a grand metanarrative to give meaning to their lives. That somehow the voice of an omniscient narrator, connecting each storyline and plot, mirrors a personal desire for community and connectedness. The realist in me recognizes that voice-overs are quick ways to move a story forward.

QUESTION OF THE DAY: Are voice overs used too much? Do they "tell" when they should "show"? Is the average viewer too ignorant to understand a show unless they are knocked over the head with the shows theme-for-the week (vis-a-vis, Desperate Housewives). Or are shows loosing any sense of subtly and nuance?

Here are a list of shows I thought of that use narrators or voice overs. Help me out by posting any others that you know of that I have not. I am especially interested if you have noticed any shows that have recently debuted that include voice overs.

Desperate Housewives
Grey's Anatomy
My Name is Earl
Arrested Development
Myth Busters

...any else?

1 Comments:

At 6:45 AM , Blogger Josh Leo said...

The Wonder Years

I think you are on to something when you mention that people need something to help them understand the storyline. people don't have to wonder and interpret. But it also depends on the person doing the narrator. In something like desperate housewives, it is different than Grey's anatomy. The woman in DH is dead and has a more omniscient viewpoint... anyway those are my thoughts

thanks for talking about something i can relate to...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home