Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Never Doing Again What I'd Swore I'd, What Again, Doing Never

So last week I signed up for the Grand Rapids Marathon. It had been a few years since my last attempted (and completed) Marathon. My last experience was in good. In Chicago there are around 40,000 people all trying to run the downtown streets, when you add in aid stations and spectators, it makes for a pretty packed house. Since everyone is running at a different pace, this results in a lot a weaving and bobbing to get through the crowd; a movement my leg muscles were not ready for. The other major problem was a 14 min. stop when I picked the wrong line for a port-a-potty. Not only did I loose a lot of time, my legs were not the same after that. I was great to be running with my Dad, and I may not have made it without him. Afterwards, I said to myself, "The River Bank Run" is a long enough distance, I don't need to do these marathons." And here I am, signed up for another one.

But this one has a cap of only 2,000 people. It runs an out and back course plus I have the experience of one marathon under my belt. Even so, there are fears lurking in the back of my head, thighs and calf muscles. So if you're not doing anything on October 29 (who knows what I'll be doing? I still don't have a job lined up.) come down and cheer me (and my Dad) (and 1,998) other runners on to success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home