Friday, September 16, 2005

If You Are Healthy...

Soon enough flu season will be upon us. Old people will be complaining about how their aren't enough flu shots to go around. Kids will be missing school. Your co-workers will be coming to work when they should be at home. People are instructed not shake hands with others and to wash their hands more frequently. People won't listen.

So let's get ready. I don't care if you get a flu shot or not. I won't, never have. But I think it is important to be grateful if we are healthy right now. When I'm sick, especially with the flu, it is hard for me to even remember what it feels like to be healthy. I swear to myself again and again, that when I'm healthy I will not take my health for granted. I promise to be thankful for the strength to just get out of the bed that sickness has tied me to.

But I don't.

As soon as I'm healthy I get wrapped up in other things. Mostly my own pseudo-problems. And I forget the pledge I made to remember that health is not a right, something I am owed, but rather a grace, something that comes freely to me. I don't know why I'm healthy. I don't know why I don't have to suffer. But at least for today, I'm going to be thankful that my throat is moist and smooth, my bowels are not burning, and I haven't thrown up in a long time. If that's the best thing I can say about a day, it's a good day in my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home